Institution Review Board
An Institutional Review Board (IRB) comprises a committee that reviews and approves research involving human subjects. The purpose of the IRB is to ensure that all human subject research be conducted in accordance with legal, institutional, and professional ethical guidelines.
To conduct independent reviews about the ethical implications of research projects that involve human subjects, proposed by Ashoka academic staff or students.
Our Guiding Principles
The Ashoka IRB is guided by the following principles when evaluating all ethics approval applications:
- All research, regardless of funding sources and authority of the investigators involved, must comply with legal, institutional, and professional ethical guidelines;
- IRB members will consult with experts in the field — bearing in mind researcher confidentiality — whenever he or she does not possess enough knowledge to evaluate a particular application;
- Both potential benefits and costs of the research will be evaluated;
- The IRB strives to be efficient in responding to all applications.
The Committee comprises of faculty members with different expertise. Your IRB application may be reviewed by any of the member(s), and in cases where clinical issues are involved (e.g., psychological trauma research), it may also be reviewed by our professional counselors in the Center for Individual and Group Experience (CIGE).
Kai Qin Chan (Chair)
Subscribe to our updates
Stay up-to-date with our latest news and events!
Generous aid policy to fuel your dreams
More than 50% of our students are on scholarships.
Ashoka in the News
- Saikat Majumdar : Reimagining intelligence in the classroom
- Saikat Majumdar : Can you teach someone to be a writer?
- Gopalkrishna Gandhi : This war cloud has a new shape
- Gilles Verniers : Samajwadi Party, family, continuity
- Abhinash Borah : Belonging, at the margins
- Aparajita Dasgupta : So that mothers can work
- Jonathan Gil Harris : The Bard in Bhojpuri: How Shakespeare’s storytelling resonates with our culture
- New science majors from Ashoka University
- Nayanjot Lahiri : Ravana in Uttar Pradesh
- Pulapre Balakrishnan : Retrofitting the Reserve Bank
- 05 Apr Young Scholars Programme for high school students at Ashoka this summer
- 04 Apr Wellesely College team visits Ashoka Campus; streamlines partnership
- 01 Apr Applications invited for the Chief Minister’s Good Governance Associates programme
- 25 Mar Women’s month at Ashoka University
- 23 Mar Trivedi Centre for Political Data discusses new research methods to study Indian politics
- 23 Oct Ashoka University gets its first Alumni Association
- 12 Oct Reimagining Shakespeare: The Bard of Sonepat
- 10 Oct Combining theatre and education towards social change
- 08 Oct Yale University and Ashoka University Expand Their Collaboration