- Organic Chemistry in day to day life: General applications of carbon compounds in day to day life.
- Structure and bonding: Ionic, Covalent, Coordinate and Hydrogen bonds, The octet rule, Formal charge, Sigma (σ-) and pi (π-) bonds, Hybridisation, , Inductive effects, Hyperconjugation, Mesomeric effects, Steric effect, Acidity and basicity, Acids, Bases.
- Nomenclature: Functional groups, IUPAC Nomenclature of aliphatic organic compounds: Alkanes, Alkenes, Alkynes, Alcohols, Amines, Carboxylic acids, Ethers, Halides and nitriles.
- Aromaticity: Hückel’s rule and characteristics of aromatic compounds benzenoid and non-benzenoid compounds, Alternant and nonalternant hydrocarbons, Annulenes, Anti-aromaticity, Homo-aromaticity and Nomenclature of aromatic compounds.
- Representation of stereostructures: Fischer, Newmann and Sawhorse Projection formulae and their interconversions.
- Conformational analysis: Butane and cyclohexane (mono and disubstituted) and their relative stability and energy diagrams.
- Geometrical isomerism: cis–trans, syn-anti and E/Z notations with C.I.P rules.
- Chirality, Enantiomers, The Cahn–Ingold–Prelog (R and S) nomenclature, The D and L nomenclature, Diastereoisomers (or diastereomers), Diastereoisomers, Mesomer Recemic mixture, resolution of recemic mixture and ee%