Who We Are: Ashoka University is a private, nonprofit university, and an unprecedented example of collective public philanthropy in India. Ashoka offers its students a multidisciplinary liberal education, usually defined as one that transcends the boundaries between the arts and sciences, and carries a strong emphasis on learning across subjects. Such an education provides depth and breadth of learning, both by exposing students to diverse disciplines and by emphasising scholarship and research.
Our Faculty and Students: The University’s focus is on attracting the brightest students, putting them under the guidance of the most inspirational faculty, and developing a global reputation for innovative research. Faculty and students come from across the country, and the world, and Ashoka is committed to maintaining the highest intellectual and academic standards.
Our Programmes: Ashoka University offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes across the humanities, social sciences and fundamental natural sciences. The aim is to help students become well-rounded individuals who are able to think critically about issues from multiple perspectives, communicate effectively and go on to become ethical self-aware leaders with a commitment to public service.
Our Partners: The University is helped in its endeavours by some of the top-rated institutions in the world. Our academic partners include University of Pennsylvania’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences; University of California, Berkeley; University of Michigan; Sciences Po, Paris; Carleton College; King’s College, London, Trinity College, Dublin and Yale University . These partnerships extend to the development of faculty exchanges, summer abroad programmes for students and research projects.
How We Help: At Ashoka, care is taken to ensure that affordability does not become a deterrent for meritorious students. The University offers support to those who meet its demanding academic standards – over two-thirds of the current students are pursuing their education supported by scholarships and other forms of financial aid.
Our Alumni: Ashoka’s unique post-graduate Young India Fellowship (YIF), now in its fifth year, has rapidly become one of the most sought-after programmes in India. YIF alumni are making their mark in some of the top organisations across the public, private and social sectors. They can be found at leading firms such as BCG, The Gates Foundation, McKinsey and Co., Microsoft, TIME Magazine, and the World Bank. In India, acclaimed organisations like Genpact, Avendus Capital, Cipla, Goonj, STAR TV and Teach for India count Ashoka alumni among their ranks. Many have gone on to premier global research universities like Cambridge, Harvard, Oxford, Princeton, Stanford and Yale and been awarded well-known international scholarships such as the Chevening, Commonwealth, Fulbright and Rhodes scholarships.
(Ashoka is located on a 25-acre campus in Rajiv Gandhi Education City in the NCR near New Delhi, India.)
Subscribe to our updates
Stay up-to-date with our latest news and events!
Generous aid policy to fuel your dreams
More than 50% of our students are on scholarships.
Ashoka in the News
- Gilles Verniers :UP assembly is more representative of various castes than it used to be
- Saikat Majumdar : A brief history of the modern Indian university
- The Fellowship that helps create agents of change
- Rajkamal Singh : As the Yadav family feud rages, the Samajwadi Party is cracking at the base
- Saikat Majumdar : Reimagining intelligence in the classroom
- Gopalkrishna Gandhi : This war cloud has a new shape
- Saikat Majumdar : Can you teach someone to be a writer?
- Gilles Verniers : Samajwadi Party, family, continuity
- Aparajita Dasgupta : So that mothers can work
- Abhinash Borah : Belonging, at the margins
- 05 Apr Young Scholars Programme for high school students at Ashoka this summer
- 04 Apr Wellesely College team visits Ashoka Campus; streamlines partnership
- 01 Apr Applications invited for the Chief Minister’s Good Governance Associates programme
- 25 Mar Women’s month at Ashoka University
- 23 Mar Trivedi Centre for Political Data discusses new research methods to study Indian politics
- 23 Oct Ashoka University gets its first Alumni Association
- 12 Oct Reimagining Shakespeare: The Bard of Sonepat
- 10 Oct Combining theatre and education towards social change
- 08 Oct Yale University and Ashoka University Expand Their Collaboration