The Only Ashoka Bucket List You Will Need This Year
As you venture on your unique journey as a university student, this bucket list is to help you capture the true Ashokan experience
My time at Ashoka University has made me realise one thing—Ashoka is much more than just a university, it is an experience. While I have thoroughly enjoyed all my classes, and they have taught me to look at the world with a fresh perspective, the memories that I have made outside the classroom are the ones that have profoundly carved my sense of community and have inculcated in me values of empathy, belongingness and friendship.
While some of these are traditions that have been passed down year after year, others are just experiences deemed necessary to call yourself a true Ashokan. As you plan on integrating (or reintegrating) amongst the red-bricked walls of Ashoka that harbour so much love and fraternity, these are just some of the ways to start scratching the surface:
- Soak in the sun while sitting in the mess laws: Ashokan students are found basking in the sun on the lawns opposite the mess building more often than they are found in their rooms during the day. Completely engrossed in a book or chatting their time away in the company of their friends, spending time in the Mess Lawns is an essential!
- Feed the dogs outside campus: Albeit they do not reside on the premises, the dogs outside the campus are as much a part of the Ashokan community as any of us! Go on your own or join Pawsitive as they venture out every evening to keep our furry friends happy, healthy and satiated.
- Get clicked with Toofan(s): Toofans are the fellow cats-in-residence at Ashoka. It is often said at Ashoka that you cannot come to Toofan because they are the ones who pick you! These cats coming to fellow students at random points of the day and showering them with love have made the days of so many Ashokans.
- Roll down the ‘hills’ of Ashoka: One thing that almost all Ashokans have done, often even multiple times, is rolling down the slopes leading up to the Sunken Field. A once-in-a-lifetime experience that promises to leave your clothes dirty and hair ruffled, this is one for the books!
- Post an Instagram story captioned #SonipatSkies: There is something about the serene skies of Sonipat that makes all residents come out with their phones in their hands at sunset. Featuring these vibrant skies of Sonipat on your Instagram is a must for all.
- Late-night dhaba excursion: Be it a night after a day of intense studying in the library or just a friendly reunion with your pals, a late-night Dhaba jaunt is a frequent occurrence for all Ashokans. With a wide variety of dishes on the table (I personally recommend the Honey Chilli Potato and the Chilli Garlic Butter Maggi), everlasting memories are made here.
- Cheer for your Home Team: Be it the Ashoka Premier League, Agneepath or the Batch Championship, sports always bring the entire Ashoka family together. With roars and cheers being heard from far-far away, coming together to support your favourite team is definitely on the bucket list.
- Run for your seat in the shuttle: Running all the way from your residence halls to the gate so that you do not miss the shuttle is barely a rare occurrence at Ashoka. Catching that breath of relief as you walk into a fully packed shuttle with all riders staring at you will be embarrassing, but worth it!
- Get a room plant from the nursery: Bring life to your new dorm room by choosing your house plant from a wide variety at the nursery! Give your new plant a name, plenty of water and sunlight and perhaps play it some of your favourite music and watch it bloom!
- Stay up all night to witness the sunrise: Be it from the sky bridge, the frisbee field or the comfort of your bedroom window—watching the magnificent sunrise will be an experience you will never forget.
(Written by: Saairah Mehta, a second-year student pursuing Political Science and International Relations at Ashoka University)